This site provides resources for parents, grandparents, and tutors who want to teach reading, or who are looking for online learn-to-read courses.
- inexpensive, flexible resources that help students learn to read in weeks, not years;
- materials that help students catch up to their peers in a few months;
- courses that teach the essentials, instead of wasting lots of time on entertainment or on activities that don’t help students make real progress;
- information that solves specific problems (such as confusion of b and d, or not knowing how to sound out). (See the Problems section of the Articles page); and
- material that makes sense, so that it’s easier for both you and your student to learn it and remember.
WHY STUDENTS HAVE TROUBLE READING
Students who have trouble with reading, usually struggle because:
- they lack basic knowledge about how writing works (the free Introduction to Phonemic Awareness for Parents video explains this to you in under 20 minutes, and the two Introduction to Phonemic Awareness for Students videos explain this to the student in under 20 minutes);
- they are not aware of the sounds in words; this is called Phonemic Awareness. To hear a list of the sounds (or phonemes) in English, you could watch my List of Phonemes video; and
- they haven’t made the link between the sound and its letter/s; this is called Phonics. To read the Phonics article, click here.